Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Butterfly Cake

Normally when someone is having a baby girl you would think of PINK!
When I received a baby shower invitation for a friend and it said her nursery colors were Deep purple, Grey and Black I was a little perplexed and not sure how to coordinate the diaper cake with her nursery.

So I headed out on a quest for purple and black... anything purple and black that would work for a baby.

I ended up finding a purple frame and a black and purple clothes pin photo holder... The frame worked perfectly after I distressed it using black paint.
I was well on my way, but what about a purple and black blanket to put on my diaper cake???

I discovered a set of blankets that had purple in it, but also pink... well, it would have to do.
One of the blankets had butterflies on it so I figured that would be the way for me to tie in her colors. So I cut out many butterflies in different sizes in purple, black and grey.
Here is the final result....

I wanted to personalize the frame a little, so I found out what she was naming her baby and cut out vinyl letters to place on the glass.... I printed a b&w photo to place inside and voila... a finished frame. Now remember I also found a clothes pin that matched.... well, here's what I did with it....The clothes pin was already the right colors but I wanted to fancy it up a little so I added a ribbon and flowers. I purchased a Target gift card and covered it in paper from her invitation then adhered it to a card that was held by the clothes pin.
So there you have it... a completed coordinating set to match a purple, gray and black baby nursery! I don't even think you notice the pink too much either :)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Wow, that is gorgeous!!! I'm sure your friend will love that frame.